Cancer Surgery Expert Forum
Can an MRI dianose if a cyst is cancerous ?

Questions in the Cancer Surgery forum cover surgery for all types of cancers.

I had an transvaginal and pelvic ultrasound last week and the radiologist said there was a cyst on my left ovary. He suggested a MRI or a direct visualization?  Would a MRI be able to diagnose if a cyst is cancerous ?  Also, does anyone knows what theymean by direct visualization ?  I once had a hysterocopy but thought that only visualizes the inside of the uterus...can anybody tell me how they do the direct visualization of an ovary ??
I think that you should speak with your physician regarding the ovarian "cyst"  I would need more information regarding the reports.

I think this is a good question, and not too personal of a sort either. I would be interested in a response as well. When you have an MRI and it shows cyst or any growth, is it possible to tell from the results if the tissue is benign, or cancerous?
I think sometimes the radiologist can tell, like in my case, he highly suggested I had  osteonecrosis of the femur rather than osteochronditis dissiccans, and which the radiologist thought after reading the bone scan because it was a hot lesion.  It also said there was a large Baker's cyst.
I asked the orthopedist if there was any chance that bone mets may be involved since I was diagnosed last year with IBC and many cancerous lymph nodes were still present after chemotherapy as it turned out from surgery, and none of them had showed up on an MRI I had two weeks before surgery. The orthopedist told me 'NO', there was no cancer.
it's an interesting question, i think, for general learning.