Cancer Surgery Expert Forum
Infection after Colectomy

Questions in the Cancer Surgery forum cover surgery for all types of cancers.

Infection after Colectomy
My mum had cancer of the colon and part of her colon and the nearby lymph nodes were removed.  The surgeon joined rejoined the colon to the small intestines.  She was fine after surgery and was discharged 6 days after the surgery.  However, on day 7 she started having an infection and her abdomen started to get bloated.  She was re-admitted to the hospital and a tube was inserted to drain the abdomen fluids, which are looked clear, but had some blood stains.  I would like to ask if this is normal, and what should we do next.  My mum is 75 and has most of her cartoid arteries blocked.
The symptoms that you describe about your mother are similar to obstruction
It sounds like your mother has a partial obstruction.of her intestines.  Please ask the surgeon if there is any evidence of a leak from the intestine.anastomosis.

Doc, thanks for the response. The surgeon suspected a leak, but did not tell me about obstruction of intestines.  What are the symptons of intestines obstruction?