Cancer in Pets Community
11-yo Doberman w/possible Lymphoma

This community is for questions and support regarding cancer for your pets.

11-yo Doberman w/possible Lymphoma

The issues with our dobermans health started last year after a so-called vet talked my boyfriend into giving our 10-year old doberman a lymes shot which I think was unnecessary.  He could barely walk for the next 4 days and has been having issues ever since.  His leg muscle mass reduced by half but he dealt with it and learned to be careful when running or jumping or he would fall.  In the last week we noticed enlarged lymph nodes in his neck and they became so large that when he barks, it sounds like he's hoarse.  The lymph glands in his chest and back legs are also enlarged.  He seemed fairly normal otherwise but was slightly lethargic and eating and drinking a little less than usual.  We took him to the vet and they ran blood tests which showed normal - calcium was not high, white blood cells were not high, etc.  To eliminate the possibility of an infection, he was put on antibiotics but the vet seems to think this leans more toward lymphoma.  We are trying to decide if it's worth putting him under for a needle biopsy or should we just kick into high gear with a natural diet and supplements.  I have been giving him a concoction of aloe vera gel, blue/green algae for pets and a little V8 for taste and it seems to give him noticeable energy and increases his appetite.  I plan to increase this from once to twice daily.  

I can't seem to find the diet you recommend for dogs with cancer.  Can you help me find that?  I've heard about a local diet using raw, 100% grass fed beef called Restoration Raw Pet Food.  Is this something you would suggest using?  Does raw tend to be better than cooked or is anything better than processed?  We did switch him to a high-protein, no-grain food last year called Call of The Wild and he improved considerably and lost a little weight or rather he "leaned-up" so it made a difference.

Also, he was diagnosed last year with a mass on his rectum (by that incompetent vet) and she didn't seem much concerned or informative about the whole thing - she stated they were usually non-cancerous and recommend he be neutered because according to her that is what caused the masses.  Could those be cancerous and have spread to his lymph nodes?  

Any help you can give would be great.  I, myself, was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 35 so I know what it's like to completely rethink the way you eat and live.  Our dog acts healthy and in good spirits and I would like to to do whatever I can to keep him healthy without having to resort to steroids or chemo, if possible.

Thanks!

This discussion is related to help for lymphoma dog.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi I am sorry to hear this but glad to help.
The anti-cancer diet is helpful as are the Paaws Vitamins, available at www.drcarol.com
Here is the anticancer diet-its for a dog 60-90 pounds so reduce the amounts
4 oz Pork Back Fat (boiled, baked or fried in olive oil)
4 oz Tofu (firm soybean curd)
2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Whole Carrots (boiled and then cut up)
1 cup Spinach (cooked)
4 Tbs Green Bell Pepper (chopped and steamed)
4 Broccoli Spears (boiled and then cut up)
2 Sardines (in olive oil, drained)
2 cloves raw Garlic (crushed and added before serving)
1 tsp dry, ground Ginger (added before serving)
½ tsp dry, yellow Mustard (added before serving)
Feel free to contact my office and we can discuss further
Thank you
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM