Cancer in Pets Expert Forum
A second try?

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Cancer Treatment. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

A second try?

Our Great Pyrenees of 10 1/2 years has been recently diagnosed with mediastinal lymphoma through chest fluid aspiration and blood work. While no enlarged nodes were found, the key factor that sent us to the vet was Flurry was panting far more than normal, even on a warm day. She'd begun to become lethargic, and refusing food. (That in itself is not usually a real red flag, since she's *always* been a fussy feeder. This was followed by periodic bouts of coughing, wretching and gagging, but no vomiting.
We're not looking to do the chemo, so my question is: Should we attempt to take Flurry to a specialist vet an attempt the second tap? If we can remove a fair amount of fluid, and make her comfortable, and make changes to her diet what would you suggest we try with her diet?
Thanks for your time, I appreciate it!
Terri
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
10 1/2
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Great Pyrenees
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 13, 2009
City
:  
Jackson
State/Province
:  
Blood Test Results
:  
Slightly elevated white cell count. Otherwise, everything else was normal. No liver, spleen, or kidney issues.
A chest tap yielded approximately 8 ml of a bright pink fluid that was sent out for exam/analysis
X-Ray Results
:  
The x-rays of the chest and abdomen were relatively clear. The chest x-ray showed fluid accumulation in the chest cavity, which unfortunately rather obscured the heart, lungs, and any other lymph nodes. But there was no other indications of any other body involvement.
Other pertinent test results
:  
Our vet attempted to aspirate the accumulated fluid out, but was unable to remove enough fluid to decrease Flurry's respiratory issues. They suggested taking her to another clinic that has an ultrasound that may be able to provide more pin point targets that would yield enough fluid to relieve the compression of Flurry's lungs. I realize this is not a benign procedure, and does carry some risks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Dear Terri,
I am very sorry to hear about Flurry.

I recently had a client with a Mastiff with the exact same diagnosis. They did not elect chemo either and the specialist gave him 2 days to live and said if he wasn't euthanized he would "drown to death," and they came to me for a 2nd opinion and requested holistic options.

My recommendation is to see the specialist and have the excess fluid handled.

We were able to help the Mastiff enjoy 2 months of quality time, for which his owners were very grateful, post his Mediastinal Lymphoma Diagnosis. We used a home-made anti-cancer diet, a natural patented vitamin supplement called PAAWS, a series of coffee enemas, probiotics and a few other natural therapies. This therapy did require quite a bit of hands on work by the owners as it would for you.

I hope this information is somewhat helpful for you and I would be glad to discuss this with you in detail.

Thank you
Dr. Carol Osborne, DVM
Thank you for the reply.
I'm pleased to report that the specialist did see Flurry this morning. They were able to remove 2300 mls of amber/orange serous fluid from her chest cavity.
I will read up on the PAAWS supplement, and make the recommended changes.
As of this evening, Flurry's breathing is beginning to change back towards normal. Her panting is decreasing, and she appears to be a lot more comfortable.
Thanks again!
Terri
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I am glad to hear Flurry is feeling better! Being able to breath is a welcomed, great relief for Flurry.

Please keep me posted and I am glad to offer further suggestions to help you.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Carol Osborne, DVM.