Cancer in Pets Expert Forum
Cancer or bacterial infection mitigated by immunosuppresant
About This Forum:

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Cancer Treatment. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cancer or bacterial infection mitigated by immunosuppresant

On week later, he wasn't feeling well so I lowered the Atopica to 100mg a day but kept using the ketoconazole. He improved but still looked sick.  yesterday he was noticeably lethargic and had alot of trouble with mucous coming out his nose and licking his paw.  Iit was swollen all the way to the elbow.  His toe where the nail was cut short was the one he was licking and it was discolored but the nail looked fine now.  I took him to the vet.  I was not looking for blame, but the doctor kept leaning towards cancer and said it was "highly unlikely" the infection was from the nail trimming three weeks before and the anemia rarely is caused by an infection. He prescribed baytril and another cbc in 4 days to see if the HCT is still low.  No other instructions.  Seemed heavily opposed that the infection was the cause of the anemia.  Said it was just a coincidence.  Atopica states in the product label included with the pills, "Atopica is a potent systemic immunosuppressant that may increase the susceptibility to infection and the development of neoplasia."  I am stopping his Atopica all together because as far as I can tell, it seems like it is suppressing his immune system and not allowing him to fight this infection for the past three weeks.  Can a bacterial infection in the blood cause anemia and this not be cancer?  If it is just an infection will the  Baytril help him and will the cbc show that in just 4 days?  
Tags: Cancer
Type of Animal
:  
Canine
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
German Shepherd
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 23, 2009
City
:  
Stroudsburg
State/Province
:  
PA
Blood Test Results
:  
His laser cyte showed low  rbc, low hct (23.4% now 46% 3 wks ago) high wbc (22), high neu, mono, and baso. Blood test showed he had a blood infection, urinalysis showed low to mid level urinary infection
X-Ray Results
:  
They X rayed his infected paw, showed nothing.
Other pertinent test results
:  
Background:     11yr old German Shepherd, Bad hips, 75mg Deramaxx, 2 Glucosamine tablets, 50mg Tramadol, and 100mg Atopica (cyclosporine) with 200mg ketoconazole for an anal fistula problem. Yearly checkup 3 weeks ago.  Bloodtest, wellness testing, vaccines, nails trimmed.  They trimmed one nail too short, it bled alot, but they put a clotting agent on it.  All blood levels were fine.  Only negative was the decrease in weight from 86lbs to 78 since his last visit (not sure how long that drop actually took).  They  upped his cyclosporine dose to 300mg a day and add in the ketoconazole as a stabalizer.