Cancer in Pets Community
Clarification on Hemangiomas

This community is for questions and support regarding cancer for your pets.

Clarification on Hemangiomas

I am absolutely confused.  Back in 2011, my dog (a Golden Retriever), Galen, was operated on to remove what turned out to be a hemangioma.  This is the info I received from the biopsy follow up....

"Multiple sections of skin in which there are well delineated and non-encapsulated mass within the dermal adipose tissue.  The mass is composed of cells arranged in numerous variably sized wascular like spaces that are variably filled with blood.  The cells lining these spaces are spindle to elongate with sparse sytoplasm and a single elongate nucleus.  Mitoses are rare."

The report goes on to say that hemangiomas in the adipose tissue is rare, and can be difficult to remove completely.  However, the report also says that the excision included around 2mm of healthy skin on all sides, and since the operation, he has not formed another mass.  So my first question is; do I need to continue to watch this area for another mass?

Second, and much more importantly...

I own Galen, and my cousin who lives down the road, owns Galen's half-brother Jackson.  Now Jackson was just diagnosed with the same thing.... a hemangioma in the adipose tissue.  Here's the rub.  My cousin and I, both go to the same veterinary hospital, and while my vet said that Galen's hemangioma was benign (not cancerous), a different vet said that Jackson's hemangioma was cancerous, and furthermore.... "All hemangiomas are cancerous".    My vet, who treated my dog Galen, had my absolute trust, but has passed away since Galen's surgery, so I cannot ask her for clarification.  The vet who is treating Jackson,.... well, I have found myself questioning her statements/judgments twice before.  Can someone clarify for me this whole hemangioma mess?
Tags: Cancer, hemangioma, adipose, nonencapsulated