Cancer in Pets Community
Colonic Cancer following IBD

This community is for questions and support regarding cancer for your pets.

Colonic Cancer following IBD

Long ago, my cat's IBD was so severe my vet said he would end up with cancer in the colon. My cat's IBD consisted of frequent diarrhea (5-7 in one day) and bleeding. I just wanted to know, because I really have not researched on it, what causes a cat to suffer cancer after having IBD. What is it with IBD that animals end up with cancer after years of treatment?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The short answer is chronic irritation.  This is known to cause cancer in various body systems in animals and people (one example is skin cancer from sun exposure).  

Gastrointestinal disorders are among the most common problems encountered in cats. Most vomiting and diarrhea episodes occur suddenly and resolve quickly. The causes are usually such as eating an unfamiliar food. However, some cats may have vomiting and/or diarrhea over a period of weeks to months. Veterinarians will want to ensure that the cat is not suffering from an illness such as chronic kidney failure, pancreatitis, or hyperthyroidism which can also cause vomiting and diarrhea.

When all non-gastrointestinal illnesses are eliminated, the various gastrointestinal disorders need to be considered and IBD is the most common.

IBD is actually a group of gastrointestinal disorders, usually chronic, which are characterized by an increase in the number of inflammatory cells found in the lining of the stomach or intestinal tract.

A diagnosis of IBD is only possible by intestinal biopsy usually with an endoscope.

Once diagnosed, the disease can be controlled to prevent pain and discomfort to the cat. Treatment is also aimed at preventing possible complications of the disease, such as damage to the liver, malnutrition, ulcers, and in some cases, the future development of cancer.  And as this is your question, it is probably the chronic inflammation of the bowl that causes the development of lymphoscarcoma in these cats.  

Many medications can be used to control IBD. These include prednisone (the treatment of choice in many cases), some antibiotics, and antiemetics (drugs that suppress vomiting). A newer drug, budesonide (Entocort®) is currently being investigated for treatment of IBD in cats. Although it is a corticosteroid drug like prednisone, it is metabolized differently and may reduce the potential for long-term side effects that can be associated with corticosteroids. Once therapy is started, it is usually continued for two to three months, before attempts are made to decrease the amount of medication. In many cases, a hypoallergenic diet may be recommended to aid in control of the disease.

Any cat with unexplained vomiting or diarrhea, especially chronic and intermittent in nature, should be examined for IBD. This disease is often overlooked and is under-diagnosed, leaving many cats to live in some measure of discomfort. With fibreoptic endoscopy, diagnosis is safe and minimally invasive. Treatment will not only avoid serious future complications, but will improve the cat's quality of life.

Sorry to be so long, but your cat developing cancer from IBD is not a sure thing.  But because of the chronic inflammation of those sensitive tissues it is a concern.  
Oh, the vet did perform a Biopsy, and he said that the colon linen was very irritated. The slightest touch would make it bleed a lot. Then he told me that in that case, my Abby would end up with cancer, eventually. This was honestly a shock for me. Such a healthy looking kitty, but so sick at the same time. None of the prescribed foods worked, and the medication just got to a point where his body got used to it, so the vet increased the dose.  He did tell me prednisone caused Diabetes, so I stopped that as well. I have him on raw foods, carefully prepared and balanced. He has been on that diet for a long time and has had full check ups at the vet's, and everything comes back perfect, thank God (knocking on wood) I did consult a nutritionist for this. I just forgot to ask why Inflammatory Bowel Diseases leads to cancer.

Thanks  Jim. I appreciate your response.
Did the raw food diet keep working?  What was in it?
Was the cat having any other treatment at the same time?

My cat has inflammatory bowel disease and we are running out of options.  Prednisone worked initially but then dose had to be increased over and over until now he has diabetes as well.
Budesonide initially worked but then stopped working.  B12 injections seem to make no difference.  Anti-acid production drug didn't work.
His main symptom initially was constant vomiting and at first swapping foods around worked, but each one eventually caused vomiting and we ran out of different ones.