Cancer in Pets Expert Forum
Enlarged lymph glands

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Cancer Treatment. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

Enlarged lymph glands

This 8 month old puppy has been seen by the vet 2 days after adoption from the shelter who told me she had been covered with ticks and fleas, was a stray, and was emaciated.  The vet did a cbc and reported to me that the puppy was very low on white blood cells and had only 1/2 the volume of blood necessary. I was told to give her prescribed liquid vitamins twice a day, keep her quiet and allow her to eat Science Diet puppy formula.  That was 4 days ago. The puppy eats well and appears to be filling out. Today I found swollen glands on either side of her jaw. Should I be concerned? What should I do?
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
8 months
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
chihuahua
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
October 01, 2010
City
:  
Sanford
State/Province
:  
North Carolina
Blood Test Results
:  
Due to puppy being a stray covered with ticks and fleas the cbc test showed no infection but low white cell count and 1/2 the volume of blood in her body
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi-The enlarged lymph nodes are likely a result of all this poor puppy has been through.

My recommendation would be to mention this to your vet, have him check them and monitor them.

Once this puppy's health status improves, the lymph nodes should go back down to their normal size and I do not think you need to worry.

Best Wishes
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
Thank you so much Dr.!  I will follow your direction and want you to know how encouraged you have made me feel about my sweet puppy. Blessings!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
My Pleasure
Dr Carol
Hi, my pup is a mix breed boxer and shar pei 8 months old. We noticed he is has an alergic (allergic) reaction to mosquitoes and something else. He get these little bumps on him, after he has been outside. Not a big deal I guess... it is when he gets this one huge one on the side of his neck the size of a large golf ball from his lymph node I would guess? This has happened twice now and worries me. It doesn't hurt him as far as I can tell. He plays, eats and drinks just fine. We were told to give him benadryl. Kinda scary for us cause we cannot afford the vet bills with me only working 2 days a week... his name is Bruno and he has a sister Daisy who has no reactions to anything so far. Thank you. Jeromy