Cancer in Pets Community
Is my dog suffering?

This community is for questions and support regarding cancer for your pets.

Is my dog suffering?

I took my dog to the vet because his appetite was gone and his eyes started to puff and close. He had me rush it to the hospital, suspecting lymphoma.
The first vet wanted to do chemo, etc. but when I told him I was unemployed and could not afford that, he sent the dog home with antibiotics since his blood was normal. I then took him to a different vet to rule out lyme disease, which was ruled out. I was given steroids which he responded well to for a few days. I was then told to up the steroid dose from 10mg twice a day to 20mg twice a day. My dog responded badly to this, so the vet told me to back it off.
I have ordered suppliments from Nuvet, but I'm afraid they won't get here fast enough. I think my dog is in at least stage 3, his neck is pretty swollen. The steroids make him uncomfortable. Am I torturing this dog? Is there any hope without chemo? Should I put him down? I am going nuts with grief!               Ted
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Ted
I am a holistic veterinarian and work with many dogs with Lymphoma cancer. We have an average survival time of 2 quality years. We use an anti-cancer diet and an all-natural vitamin supplement, patented for dogs called Paaws.
I would be glad to help you.
Thank you
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
2 weeks ago i took my 12 year old lab mix to the vet because I noticed a mass in the abdominal area, the dr examined him and said its the size of a cantoloupe, he went for a physical back in April and this wasnt there the Dr. agreed that this is a fast growing tumor that he feels is cancerous. And is now involved with the bladder and colon.  My dog is having a hard time contolling his bladder and hacks.  Do you think he is suffering or in any kind of pain?  I dont want him to suffer. The Dr said the cancer he has is rapid growing and too far gone and his age is to old to try any treatments or surgery and just make him confortable until the end. I just want to know at what point do you make the decision that it's time as he has been such a loyal dog to our family I dont want him to be in pain or suffer from this.  Please help....

thanks Nancy
Hi Nancy,

I know how you feel and I hope your little friend is with you.

Regretfully dogs cannot speak or tell us they are in pain.  I was going crazy tring ot find a cure for my little guy however once it starts to mass it moves quickly.

I'm not a doctor but spent a great deal of time with the vet who tried to talk me into letting him go especially when he started wandering around the house unable get comfortable then later refused to eat.  Our friends are with us though the most challenging moments and when they are sick the best we can do is return the love and ensure that they are not sufferring.

Yes, your dog is suffering and he loves you for your caring thoughts.

I sympathisize with you.  I tried everything and tried to move mountains to make my little dog better...

All the best