Cancer in Pets Community
Malignant Melanoma in dog

This community is for questions and support regarding cancer for your pets.

Malignant Melanoma in dog

I have a soon to be 9 year old Rottweiler mix. She developed a problem with her toe, licking it constantly. Then we noticed the nail was cracked. Within a week it got much worse so she went to the vet. The vet said the toe would most likely have to come off because it could be a tumor. Xrays couldn't confirm this so she was placed on a strong antibiotic in case it was just an infection. It was obvious it wasn't working & the next week her toe was amputated. The biopsy came back today as malignant melanoma. We were given a vague prognosis. They don't know for sure if this was caught early or if the cells spread & we were told we would just have to wait & see. There is a vaccine at University of Penn that they are trying out on dogs with cancer & we are waiting to hear back on the cost. Are there no tests that can be done to determine if the cells spread? I know with humans they can usually tell if you caught it early or what stage you are in. They can't do that with dogs? We just have to sit back & wait to see if another tumor shows up or not?

Any help would be really appreciated!