Cancer in Pets Community
Skinned ruptured tumor

This community is for questions and support regarding cancer for your pets.

Skinned ruptured tumor

My 14 year old cat has several large tumors on her back.  The Vet diagnosed her with cancer 4 months ago.  Some of the tumors have now ruptured and the skin looks bloody with some discharge.  Removal is not an option as the tumors continue to grow and multiply. She is still eating and does not appear to be in pain.   My main concern is how to care for the wound area and make her confortable.  I have been told that staff infections are a risk with open sores.  The Vet gave me Chlorhexidine Flush but the sores continue to get worst. Any suggestions on wound care? Can these wounds be infectious to other pets and human?

This discussion is related to What can i do for my poor cat with fibrosarcoma.

Sorry to hear that your cat is so ill. The goals of cancer care may be either palliative or curative. When cure is not an option, comfort and good quality of life are the goals. Open wounds for a variety of reasons are not compatible with good quality of life. So here's my key point here: even if a surgery to debulk (partially or almost completely) remove ulcerated masses like these does leave microscopic, or even moderate "macroscopic" diseased tissue behind, if the open wounds are closed, the cat is likely to have a better quality of life for however long it takes for the tumor to re-advance to the stage its at now.

Of course if the tumor is in a bad spot which does not allow for almost complete removal or doing so will make function more difficult, the decision is harder. Next key message: if the mass(es) are located such that surgery will remove all gross (visible, macroscopic) disease, then that is a reasonable even desirable choice.

Of course i do not know the particulars of your situation, but if surgery is an option (no distant metastasis, mass is configured such that the doctor can remove macroscopic disease) then its an excellent option.

You may also want a second opinion from a specialist soft tissue surgeon. The credential is "DACVS."

Good luck!

Dr G