Cancer in Pets Community
Stage 4 cancer

This community is for questions and support regarding cancer for your pets.

Stage 4 cancer

How do I cope with this? I have only had my dog 1 year and now I find out she has the most radical aggressive cancer out and it is in stage 4 almost stage 5. I look into her little eyes and my heart breaks for her. I can not show her I am upset or she will not be happy and I don't want one unhappy day for her. They give her up to 6 months to live.
I went through what your going through. I had a dog for 5 years then she got lymphoma cancer and it was already at like the last stages so there was nothing we could except give her a few months. When I found out it was cancer it was SOO heartbreaking. I couldn't eat, I just scream cried, it's like they don't understand and it just broke my heart. They gave her about 6 months to live, but she was still so healthy like eating, playing, etc, so we didnt want to put her to sleep yet BUT we didnt' want her to get to those last stages of not eating and being in pain, so we decided to put her to sleep while she was still healthy, 1 month later. This was 3 months ago. We knew she had cancer and that she didn't have long to live and we didnt want to wait until she was sick, and I know we made the right decision by putting her to sleep. But it was definitely not easy to do, that whole month of being with her knowing that the day was coming, was just unbearable for me. It was so hard, but getting it over with helped and having time to heal etc. It was just no fun sitting there knowing I would have to put my dog to sleep very soon, so we gave her 1 month then did it. It's now 3 months later and I seriously thought i would never recover, it was soooo hard. But now I am completely happy and we actually got a new puppy. I hope this helps, good luck

Yes, I have the same problem. I don't want to see her suffer at all. She has had such a hard life until I adopted her. I only want what is best for her. I think at the first sign I will have her put down. They said it will hit her lungs or stomach, liver first. They predict she will stop eating and just lay around. Believe me as soon as her quality of life goes, so will she. I personally have a DNR order so I do believe when it is your time it is your time no matter what. I am human and can stop her from having to suffer at all, as I wish we could do this for humans as well. Watching anything you love suffer is heart breaking,. I even save my gold fish by holding them & putting the medication in their mouths. I will do everything I can to help them win but if they are going to die.  I will let them go. I can not keep her alive & suffering for my own selfish reasons and I too want to remember her happy not all cancer stricken & sickly.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello, I am very sorry to hear that your dog has cancer and glad to help.
As a holistic veterinarian, I work with many dogs with cancer and our results are very good. Most dogs enjoy 2 quality years post diagnosis. A 6 month prognosis is very common. We begin with an anti-cancer diet and an all-natural vitamin supplement patented for dogs called Paaws.
I would be glad to help you.
Best Wishes
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM