Cancer in Pets Community
Still looking for answers

This community is for questions and support regarding cancer for your pets.

Still looking for answers

Last Dec. 22 I noticed my 12yr old Siamese wasn't eating.  She had a complete senior physical 10 months prior,  I took her in to our vet, he took CBC, urinalysis complete, and chemistry 17 clip.  All they could find was a slightly elevated white blood count and gave me Clavamox drops with instructions to  force feed her.  No improvement and she got worse each day, I called twice and they acted like I was over reacting and just continue with what they gave me.  Then the holidays came, I kept panicking because I hated forcing her, I watched her get weaker each day.  Finally on the 28th their office was open again so I took her back and they took X rays, gave her a penicillin G Benzath. long acting injection, enema, and more sub Q fluids.  Could find nothing and suggested an exploratory surgery to which I almost yelled NO at them.  I had been through this before and permitted the surgery which only caused pain and more suffering to my other Siamese.  He tried examining her abdomen and she cried and he said he wasn't hurting her.  Each day my girl got weaker and her breathing was getting hard with fluid dripping, I called and they said to get a vaporizer.  So days of vaporizing in the bathroom before I took her back in an emergency visit, I now realize did nothing but make it even harder for her to breathe.  I thought they could help her breathe better in a chamber, but the other vet there told me she probably had cancer because he could feel a mass in her abdomen.  So in shock I had to have her euthanized on New Years Day.  They never offered pain meds, and continued telling me it was only a minor infection.  I am still looking for what happened and feel guilt for the pain she must have suffered.  Are these the symptoms that would have indicated cancer?  What else could have happened?    
Tags: cat lymphoma
Yes, it sounds to me as if she had cancer or a fatal tumor of some sort. I think your dvm was very lax not to suggest further testing earlier and to keep dismissing this. A cat who isn't eating and who is losing weight and who has all those other symptoms obviously has something serious going on and maybe an ultrasound could have shown what was happening.  My Angie had a physical only 2 months prior and nothing showed up in her blood work- she had had some weight loss, that was it. I did two vaccines that day, which I really regret and she was sick a few days later. I believe they stimulated her immune system.

I'm so sorry for your loss of your baby... I remember something a dvm said to me years ago- no matter how much time we have with them, it's never enough. That is so true...

I feel guilt also due to not noticing sooner that something was wrong, although it came on very suddenly for the most part... I too wish I had done more testing earlier. I ended up doing a necropsy which confirmed she had adenoma choliangeocarinoma of the liver and myeloid leukemia... they thought she had liver cancer on the ultrasound study. Cats are VERY good at hiding pain and problems like this, it is part of their instinctual survival predator behavior. Please try to forgive yourself and know that she knows how much you loved her and still do.