Cancer in Pets Community
Watch your dog's toes!

This community is for questions and support regarding cancer for your pets.

Watch your dog's toes!

I posted this in the Dogs section, but thought it would be worth posting here too:

Just a reminder to those who have large, black-coated dogs:  All large and giant-breed dogs who happen to have black coats are suseptible to a toe cancer called squamous cell carcinoma (SCC).  A study is ongoing at the University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada, gathering statistics of dogs whose toes are affected.

My black Standard Poodle has just gone through his second surgery to remove a toe due to SCC.  He lost his first toe, on a back foot, in 2008, after we discovered a lesion next to his toenail which refused to heal.  Another symptom is cracked, brittle, or twisted toenails.  The lesions look crusty and sometimes ooze a colorless or bloody liquid.  Infection around the toenail is a very common 'heads up' that the toe should be checked.  The toe, if left untreated, becomes very swollen and hard.  The dog has difficulty walking and tends to lick at the toe beause it hurts.

The removel (removal) of a toe is a very simple procedure.  Signs of surgery are generally gone within two weeks, and the dog adjusts very easily to his 'disability'.  In fact, Simba, my guy, was running on the beach within 12 days of surgery.  Although surgery is not nice to think about, the cancer metastasizes quickly, so early surgical intervention will save the life of your friend.  For more information, go to http://home.cogeco.ca/~anessa-ava/definition.htm

Please examine your dog's toes regulary and keep his/her nails clipped and clean. Best wishes to all for a very Merry Christmas and a loving and peaceful New Year!  
Just seen your post. My friends black  standard poodle had a toe removed due to cancer but died about 1yr later. I have also found that some of my Dobermanns (black and tan) have had to have lumps removed from their toes and also are prone to inflammation around the nail bed which they keep licking. I have also found that when Dobermanns are young their nails tend to rub against the skin between their toes until the skin hardens up and becomes tough. I have taken particular notice of this with other Dobermanns from varies parts of the country.(UK) I have not found that there has been a need to remove the toes or been told it has be cancerous.