Cancer in Pets Community
When to put cat to sleep?

This community is for questions and support regarding cancer for your pets.

When to put cat to sleep?

A cat I have befriended for a couple of years developed a growth on left hip.  Took him to vet 2 wks ago and was told he has a fibrous sarconoma (sp?). Amputation or growth removal are not options because of his age (guessing about 12) and my budget and the vet's honest opinion that there is no guarantee this fast-growing cancer won't spread even with surgery.  

Two weeks ago, I was not ready to put him to sleep.  Tonight I wonder.  I am dosing him with a pain medicine, so hope he is not hurting.  He is increasingly restless; bothered by growth and has chewed a large raw spot on hip.
Vet said to treat with Apple Bitter, which I do when I can.  Have also used antibiotic cream.

It is hard to know when his quality of life will be so diminished that he will need to be put down..  Believe he is more restless these past few days than  he was a couple of weeks ago.  May be my imagination.  I am buying a  high quality cat food for him now which he loves.  It is all I can tempt him with, as he has grown very finicky and started leaving his usual food in bowl.

Any opinions?  Suggestions?

Hello, I am kind of in the same boat with my dog. He has a large tumor on his leg and he always licking it, and his chest and shoulders.  He has had it for four years and he is 10 years old.
I noted he is also restless, moving from one place to the other. Often barking at night when he never did that before.  Never a barker.  He is eating like its going out of style.
I buy a 20lb bag of purina dog chow once ever ten days or so. I have heard that cats who are dying of cancer eat alot too. My friends cat ate like crazy, but then, it cried and she could not stand it anymore. Put her to sleep.  
That was my question, when is it time?  I do not want my dog to suffer. I see him limping and give him asperin.  He also has a lung tumors too.  He coughs when he runs, and acts like he is vomiting now and then out of site.  I think, they want to hide it, cause they dont trust humans somehow.  Well Im sorry your going through this.
I feel that when a pet no longer has the quality of life that he/she deserves, God will utilize you and the vet to make the most humane act of love for your pet and not prolong suffering. It is one of the most difficult decisions to make and the pet should be with a loving family member during this final process. It can also be done at home. Some vets will sedate the pet before giving him/her the injection, but it's never easy to make this decision and many people live with the guilt of having to make that decision, but if the cat no longer has the quality of life that he/she deserves, it's time.