Cancer in Pets Expert Forum
can i humanely utinise my dog at home

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Cancer Treatment. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

can i humanely utinise my dog at home

My old dog, has arthritis, skin problems, and tumors. He has trouble standing up when he is trying to get up. He gets very stressed out at the vets office and needs to be muzzled. He is on his last legs he is very slow moving. I know he is suffering and i want to put him to sleep in the comfort of my own home rather than the vets office. He hates it there, and he gets so stressed out he becomes very vicious and gets very scared. He has been this way since he was a pup. As he has gotten older its become worse over the years. I love him dearly but when i see him struggle with his everyday life. There is no quality. So I want him to comfortable in his own bed with his family by his side when he passes. Would sleeping pills work?
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
13
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
lab/golden
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 16, 2009
City
:  
psl
State/Province
:  
florida
You've had your friend a good long time and it sure sounds like you have given him a great life so far.   While your motives are sincere and understandable, trying to euthanize your pet at home by yourself could be very traumatic for both you and your pet.

There are veterinarians who do housecalls as their primary practice and many practices can meet your needs for a housecall if you give them enough notice.   That way, you can be assured that your friend will be humanely euthanized without stress.

When you reach the decision that its time to let him go, you have my sincere condolensces.
excuse the spelling for the uthanize- also wanted to add- he doesnt see or hear very well any longer. you have to go right up to him and speak- when it is treat time he no longer hears me unless im in his face. my back yard is fenced in so he can go out and we have sliding patio doors- he thinks they are closed and will not come back in unless i show him they are open. he is such a good dog.