Cancer in Pets Community
hemangiosarcoma

This community is for questions and support regarding cancer for your pets.

hemangiosarcoma

We recently had to put down a cat who had this in her spleen.  The spleen was removed and we didn't get the diagnosis until a week later.  We knew it was cancer however.  She did have a few good weeks after the surgery but once she got worse and stopped eating at all we decided it was time.  

Are there any known causes?  Will another cat she has grown up with her (not biologically related we assume as we go them in different cities) fall to this same condition in time?

I have read about arsenic exposure can cause problems in people like this, at least in the liver.  I know I have elevated levels of arsenic in my body but have no idea of when that occurred.  Can this have been a cause for her?  
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you lost your beloved pet. It's so difficult and painful.  

Hugs,
Janet