Cancer in Pets Community
squamous cell carcinoma

This community is for questions and support regarding cancer for your pets.

squamous cell carcinoma

I brought my dog to a cancer hospital in Mass. for a squamous cell carcinoma on her right lip.  They performed a lymph node biopsy and chest x-rays as they said that would be the first 2 places for it to move to.  They proved negative so they said she was a perfect candidate for surgery.  To remove her right lip.  I accepted this as truth and let them operate on Judy.  They were able to get good margins and all the biopsies came back perfect.  They called and said this was considered a cure.  That she was cancer free.  Now it is 3 weeks later and she has 2 large lumps on her neck and they want to biopsy these as they feel the cancer did indeed go to her lymph nodes.  Possibly they could be just reactive but they don't think so.  Why would I have put my dog through this terrible surgery if this could have happened?  They had assured me that the cancer had not spread and that was why she was a perfect candidate for surgery.

This discussion is related to Causes of Enlarged Lymph Node.