rapid weight gain after colon resection
I had a colon resection in April of 2011.   I had a gastrointestinal stromal tumor removed.  The tumor was a little larger than a grape fruit, so a large portion of my colon was removed.  I lost roughly 30 pounds by the time I had my surgery from the cancer.  Since the surgery, I went back to my normal weight and then about 40 pounds past it.  I gained this weight rapidly.  I am 35 years old.  I believe some of the weight gain has to do with being on Depakote, and some of it being my body over compensating for the rapid weight loss prior to the surgery.  Still, I have been off of Depakote for seven months now.  I have been on an exercise routine for almost three months, as well as cutting calories.  I have not really lost any weight.  My left ovary was also removed.  Now, I am concerned that it is going to be very difficult time losing weight, and it may possibly due to my body's ability to digest fat or possible hormonal issues from the loss of the ovary.  I am wondering if anyone has any information as to my theories, and more importantly any advice would be greatly appreciated.
How are you? Unintentional weight gain can be caused by many different issues such as metabolism, lack of  exercise, medical problem or use of certain medications, hormone changes ( underactive thyroid, Polycystic ovary syndrome or menopause), buildup of fluid in the tissues, and a lot more. To determine the underlying cause, you may need to check with your doctor to rule out some of the conditions mentioned.  Blood tests including chemistry profile, measurement of hormone levels and nutritional assessment may also be done. Take care and do keep us posted.
I am right there with you. I exercise regularly and eat very healthy. I work out and run. I had to have a colon resection due to peritonitis. I am 34, was 5'6 and was 120. I have gained 50 lbs in a matter of a few months and am always bloated no matter how much I work out and how little I eat. The doctors have ruled out my thyroid. I have just recently started topamax for my migraines...hoping that helps with the weight loss too. Honestly it doesn't seem like the doctors really care all that much how the weight gain affects us. It's like they could care less if they find out the reason or not.  They want to try telling me it's my diet. I know for a fact that's not the case. I know how to lose weight and before the surgery it was never an issue. If only they knew how suicidal this was making me. Good luck to you! I hope you have better luck in figuring it out than I am having.
I had my ascending colon removed over 2 years ago , and immediately following the surgery with in 2 months had gained 30 lbs. My doctor didn't feel as if it was an issue.  She said it was because right after the surgery I developed hypothyroidism.  And during my last CAT scan they found a cyst on my right ovary. So it sounds about right.
I was wondering if anyone out there knows if either of these things are related, meaning causational.  
I have N.E.T. , so what I wondering is did I get the hypothyroidism because of the N.E.T. along with the cyst. Or is it just a coincidence?
N.E.T. are cancerous tumors that give off hormones, well that's sort of the way I kind of figure it to be. If anyone has anyway of knowing please let me know. Thank you.