swollen tonsil and enlarged gland
I am a 50 yr. old female, never smoked.  My problem began a year ago, I developed tonsil pain on the left side only, noticed only when I would swallow food. I went to the Dr. and he said my tonsil was slightly enlarged and prescribed antibiotics. After 3 rounds of antibiotics and steroids nothing changed, I might also add that I also had ear pain, like in the inner ear. He sent me to an ENT which gave me 2 catscans that both showed slight enlarged left tonsil and some slightly enlarged glands..conclusion was inflammation, no tumor showing or mass.  The Dr. scoped me and seen nothing...The last ct scan was done in May 2012, now since then my gland under my jaw next to my trachia is big, like the size of a half dollar and hurts when I turn my head as if it is touching a bone and I have a burning sensation and my tonsil still hurts as well as my ear.  ENT is a 40 year experienced DR. and says it does not appear to present itself as cancer and with inflammation only showing with no masses he is not concerned.  My family thinks I have nothing to worry about but I am concerned and I do have sweats and fatigue..when this all first began my CBC was good. I have read so much on throat cancer I am convinced I have it..what else could cause this?  I feel it has went on way too long and I have read so much on the HPV virus causing tonsil cancer..I have no Insurance so it is very hard to go from DR to DR and my ENT has a good reputation..Any answers?
How are you? It is good to know that the imaging studies done were okay and did not show any form of mass or malignancy. Cancer of the throat  usually presents with  abnormal breathing sounds, coughing up blood, difficulty swallowing, hoarseness that does not get better in 1 - 2 weeks, neck pain, sore throat that does not get better in 1 - 2 weeks, even with antibiotics, swelling or lumps in the neck and unintentional weight loss.
People who smoke or use tobacco, excessive alcohol use have higher risks for cancer. A second opinion from another specialist may help ease any anxiety. Take care and do keep us posted.