Cancer Community
13 year old with a hard lump under his nipple

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

My 13 year old son has a Hard, painful lump under his right nipple that has been hurting for about three weeks. We called the doctor and spoke to the triage nurse last week, and she said that it was most likley hormones and that it was a breat bud, because some boys will get them in puberty.   I insisted on seeing a doctor to verify this. We took him on friday, and the doctor was concerned that when he felt it, it was Hard and about pea sized.  He said hormones and breast buds are swollen nipples, not hard lumps. My sons nipple itself is not swollen. There is just a hard, pea sized, painful lump under his right nipple.

They are sending him to a pediatric surgeon to have it checked. So, we are worried. What will they do?  Will they try to aspirate it? Send him for an ultrasound,etc?  Are there cases of 13 year old boys getting cancer in this area?

If you could respond, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank You!      
His age is young to be thinking about cancer.

however, if the doctor was concerned, then they probably will do a CT  or MRI.
and/or perhaps do blood work, and they should do blood work.
I think its just they are growing up, everthing is getting bigger,just keep a eye on it make sure it doesnt get any bigger, and if he say it hurts bad take him to doctor soon.
To say that at age 13 is too young to even think about cancer is being a bit NAIVE!! Young Babies get cancer!