4 vs 6 Chemo treatments for Stage 3C Grade 2 Endometrial Cancer
I have heard that 4 chemo treatments (taxol & carboplatin) for endometrial cancer is just as effective as 6 treatments.  Is there a study out there that supports this or has anyone heard this before?  My mother in law is 72 and we would certainly rather have less than more.

Thanks!
American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Volume 192, Issue 5 , Pages 1365-1367, May 2005
Carboplatin and paclitaxel for the treatment of advanced or recurrent endometrial cancer
Tahira Akram, MD, Priya Maseelall, MD, James Fanning, DO
Affiliations

Abstract Full Text PDFReferences Objective
The purpose of this study was to determine the activity and toxicity of carboplatin and paclitaxel (taxol) in the treatment of advanced or recurrent endometrial cancer.

Study design
This was a retrospective review of 18 consecutive patients with advanced (stage 4) or recurrent endometrial adenocarcinoma that had been treated with outpatient carboplatin and taxol. Taxol was delivered at 135 mg/m2 over 3 hours, and carboplatin was delivery at an area under the curve of 5 over 1 hour. Cycles were repeated every 21 days.

Results
The overall response rate was 63% with 28% of patients who had a partial response and 35% of patients who had a complete response. Kaplan-Meier test was used to estimate the median survival time of 27 months and the median progression free survival time of 24 months. No patient had neutropenia, thrombocytopenia or grade 3 vomiting, neurosensory toxicity, or renal toxicity.

Conclusion
Carboplatin and taxol for the treatment of advanced or recurrent endometrial cancer appear to be active regimens with minimal toxicity.

Hope this helps.
I to have Stage 3C Endometrial Cancer (actually Papillary Serous Cancer of the Endometrium) I was told you could get by with 4 but 6 was optimum. I have done 4 and have 2 to go. I will also have to do 3 weeks of radiation. I have had good drugs that have dealt with all the side effects except for extremely painful bloating. What side effects is your mother in law dealing with?
Donna
She hasn't started yet.  She will start next week.  Thanks for the response.
on monday i will be having my second chemo same type for the same cancer.  all my dr will give me is vicodin for all my pian and will not prescribe an anti depressant for me. i feel like since i have no health insurance i am being treated differently than some with it.  i am scared and wish he was more sympathic to my needs. a friend suggested finding a new dr but with no health care i feel out of options.i am at a loss. my dr also recommends 6 treatments with radiation sandwiched in between. i hope all goes well for you
You could always do a Self Referral to MDanderson.org.  They are a non-profit hospital and world reknowned for cancer treatment.  I would definitely refer myself to them.

Good Luck and God Bless.
Sorry to hear that.  Is it that you should see a different doctor to get an anti-depressant.  There are so many types that he may not feel qualified to prescribe that as an oncologist.  Are you going to a larger cancer center?  My mother in law is going ot Dana Farber in Boston.  They have all sorts of services - a social worker, alternative medicine, etc.  Perhaps going someplace like that would help.  Larger centers would likely be able to handle no insurance more than a smaller one?  Just a guess...

The good news is that my mother in law didn't really have any side effects from her first treatment.  While I don't think that means they all will be ok, but I am hopeful it won't be too bad.  She was VERY achy in her joints, but that was the worst of it.

We did talk to the dr about 4 vs 6 and he basically said 6 is preferred.  If we et to 4 and she is having a lot of trouble, then he may stop....but that he would prefer 6.

Good luck!