Cancer Community
Abnormal PET/CT scan

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Abnormal PET/CT scan

I have been symptom free, labs normal.  I had a bout of Hypertension and slight chest discomfort.  I'm 54 with strong cardiac family history.  During a Chest CT angio they found a round nodule in my right lower lobe.  1.5 CM in size.  They sent me for a PET scan and found some uptake in Mediastinal lymph nodes.  Next step a biopsy.
I have never smoked, am overweight and going through menopause.  
The doctor has labeled it Stage IIIA lung Cancer.  Is it that simple to say I have lung cancer?  I know I need the biopsy, but are there other things that could cause lymph node enlargement in the mediastinum or is it always cancer?  I need to know.  

Thank you so much.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  I agree with you.  It's rather premature to label your condition as "Stage IIIA Lung Cancer" based solely on the findings of a lung nodule and increased uptake of mediastinal nodes on PET scan.  Although these findings do suggest the presence of malignancy, a diagnosis of cancer is devastating to any patient and should only be made when the doctor has incontrovertible proof, which means a biopsy result.  A lung nodule associated with enlarged mediastinal nodes can also be seen in some infections like pulmonary tuberculosis.  I don't know where you live so I could not tell if tuberculosis is prevalent in your location, but it's always a possibility.

Anyway, just have the biopsy done as soon as possible and let's hope for favorable results.  Good luck and stay positive.
Thank you so much for your response. I just can't hardly believe it will be a malignancy.
I grew up in the midwest and have lived in Los Angeles for 10 months now.  Labeling me with Stage IIIA cancer has totally turned my life upside down and I don't even have a conclusive test yet.
I will stay positive.  I see a surgeon today to schedule a Mediastinoscopy biopsy.
Thanks again for your answer.