Cancer Community
Abnormal fluid sac around fetus neck and spine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

My ultrasound today placed my gestation at 14 weeks. The ultrasound also showed that there is a sac of fluid or something like a sac of fluid behind the fetus' head and neck. A few calcified spots showed up on a few of the pictures and the sac appears to be about the same size as the head. Regular development in spinal cord and brain seemed to be occuring, however, the activity of the fetus seemed hyper in the arms with no movement in the lower extremities?My question is this, have you ever heard of this type of occurance? Is miscarriage a high possibility? Is this a sign of spinal bifida or possibile paralyzation? I am scheduled to see a specialist for a more intricate ultrasound & consult. I just didn't think I would be able to sleep tonight without knowing something.