Cancer Community
Abnormal pap smear.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Abnormal pap smear.

Hi my name is Christine, and about a month ago I went in to see my doctor with a really bad cramping in my left side, near my ovaries. She did a papsmear and i got a call from her saying high grade squamous Intraepithelial Lesion HSIL. She then referred me to a doctor who I will be seeing in about a month. But in the mean time, the pain has gotten a lot worse. It hurts my whole pelvis, my lower back and down my left leg.I also have swollen lymph nodes in my groin area, and all over my neck. I also keep getting really sick. I'll get a fever, runny nose, and a horrible cough that hurts really bad, and just as I start to feel better, it comes right back. I dont feel like my immune system is working right, but my doctor says its because I smoke. Im 25 years old, Ive only been smoking for 5 years. I understand that cigs arent good for me, but i really find it hard to believe that is the cause of my repeated infection with whatever virus Im getting. I really need some advice on what to do, please! I cant take being in horrible pain all the time and being sick. What should I do? And what is wrong with me? I pay my doctor for nothing. She cant even give me a logical reason as to why this could be happening to me.
You need to give your doctor another call and tell her how sick you are feeling.

OK once you mentioned lesion it reminded me of what I went through when I was around your age. I too had a lesion on my cervix and what they did at the time - which was in the 80's was they froze the lesion. I think it was called cryosurgery. Mine was cancerous and the cryosurgery took care of it. I did have to keep going back to the doctor every 6 months so they could keep an eye on things, but after about a year and a half I only had to go to the doctor once a year. Anyway, this happened to me 21 years ago and I haven't had a problem since then. I really can't remember what the name was that they called the lesion, but it could be about the same thing. I do remember hearing and seeing the word dyplasia though. My symptoms at the time were spotting blood.

If you look in my profile you will see I had a hysterectomy - the lesion had nothing to do with me having to have a hysterectomy. It was my ovaries and uterus that were giving me the problems.

I really hope this gets resolved for you soon! Chin up :)