Cancer Community
Adenocarcinoma in Liver

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Adenocarcinoma in Liver

Someone close to me has been diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma in the liver.  Doctors at this point are not sure where the cancer originated; however, they have found significant swelling in his glands.  I've tried to do research on this, but haven't been very successful.  Can anyone tell me more about this disease?  What are the usual forms of treatment?  What is the typical survival rate?
This person is only 26 years old and up until last weekend never had any symptoms.  Over the weekend, he went to the restroom and had blood in his urine.  This prompted him to see his physician who in turn admitted him into the hospital for testing.  They found the mass on his liver and did a biopsy which resulted in his diagnosis.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  Adenocarcinoma in the liver could have arisen from the liver itself (hepatocellular carcinoma), or could have metastasized from another organ, such as the lung, colon, breast or pancreas.  I'm not sure which condition the person you're referring to has.  If it's hepatocellular carcinoma, it is possible for a 26 year old to have it if he contracted a chronic viral hepatitis infection (hepatitis B or C) in childhood.  Such an infection could lead to mutations in the liver cells which could result in the development of cancer a few years down the line.  If it's metastatic disease, the primary organ where the cancer originated from should be sought, so that treatment could be more focused.

Either way, whether it's primary liver cancer or metastatic disease, the prognosis isn't good.  Patients with hepatocellular carcinoma usually survive for less than a year if untreated.  Effective treatment can only be done if the mass is still small (less than 5 cm), usually by surgical resection, radiofrequency ablation, or chemo-embolization.  If this person has metastatic cancer in the liver, then this is Stage 4 disease and is incurable. Chemotherapy can be done but for palliative purposes only.