Adrenal Adenoma
After doing a work-up for infertility and hirsuitism (severe and getting progressively worse) - my doctor checked my abdomen and found an adrenal adenoma that is 2 cms. Im scheduled for an MRI soon, but she says that's since it's functioning it should be removed. My question is, does anyone know what causes this? How likely could it be the beginning stages of cancer? (My hirsuitism has been getting worse over the past few months, so I'm worried about that) My DHEAS levels were really high, but everything else was normal, including cortisol, except progesterone and LH was very very low... Has anyone heard anything about this? Anyone in a similar situation? I'm 25 with no other medical problems except the hirsuitism (and sometimes severe abdominal pains, but other than that even my periods are normal... any ideas?
Hi.  The exact mechanisms which can account for the development of adrenal adenomas are unknown. Tumors, in general, whether benign or malignant, develop because of  a defect in the processes which regulate growth, reproduction and maturation of cells.   I suppose adrenal adenomas are no exception.  These are fairly common benign tumors, and are not known to progress to cancer at a later stage.  

If you wish to know more about this condition, you can go to this web page: http://www.emedicine.com/Radio/topic13.htm