Cancer Community
Adrenal Adenoma
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Adrenal Adenoma

Bottom Line (even if it's at the top!):
I am really torn on how big of a stink I should make about my adrenal adenoma. How big do you let it get before you take it out even if lab work seems normal? Hubby is a PA and thinks that if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck......

Thanks!

The Details:
I am a 40 y/o female with an adrenal adenoma that has grown from 2.8cm to 3.2cm over an 18 month period.  The tumor was an incidental finding in a CT scan when I had a kidney stone.  My blood and 24hr. urine come back normal or just slightly above normal so the Dr.'s are telling me my symptoms (see below) are caused by anxiety and PCOS.  I'm willing to accept the anxiety diagnosis but I want to be sure that I'm not falling through the cracks.  My husband is in the Army so we move frequently and I have to start over with new Dr.'s every time we move I've had many of these symptoms since childhood (before stress of being an army wife).  I have never been thin but BP/tachy were equally as crazy even when I was a sprinter in high school and in good shape.  Heart rate reacts normally to exercise.

- Tachycardia (95 bpm -150 bpm  resting  Endo put me on Coreg to reduce insulin side effects even though I am NOT diabetic and tachycardia got WORSE)
- BP (106/60 - 180/100)
- Weight gain in face/abdomen
- Facial flushing/red cheeks
- Intolerance to heat
- Hirsutism
- During general anesthesia my BP and heart rate were "all over the place"
- Lots of stretch marks (they aren't super dark though)
- I doubt the PCOS Dx because : never skipped a cycle, had 2 children, was able to breast feed, metformin did not change any of my symptoms.  (My GP also doubts the PCOS Dx from the Endo.)
- Dexamethasone suppression test was normal, cortisol was slightly elevated but not off the charts
- Family history of tachycardia and adrenal/parathyroid abnormalities
- First MRI found a pituitary microadenoma but follow up MRI showed nothing