Cancer Community
Advanced Pancreatic Cancer patient is suffering - can you help?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Advanced Pancreatic Cancer patient is suffering - can you help?

Pardon me for having two parts to my question.  My father was diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer in early June and has been battling a diet that seems to cause all kinds of distress.  The tumor is located where the bile duct and liver connect and has extreme jaundice.

1) For the month of June, I put him on a diet that is very limited on the amount of oil and fat that he ingests.  He had extreme amounts of pain - bowel movements were painful with extreme burning.  After cutting out most of the oil and fat (learning that the body cannot process fats well anymore), the symptoms subsided and he felt better.  Lately, the symptoms have returned and the diet has not been altered.  What can I possibly recommend to limit his suffering?

2) The jaundice is particularly bad due to the levels of bile in his skin.  He's suffering from extreme itching.  The oncologist prescribed a strong anti-inflammatory and a benedryl-based cream to apply as needed.  These drugs have extremely limited effect on his itching.  Is there something else I can point him to so he can get some relief?