Cancer Community
Antinuclear Antibodies and cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Antinuclear Antibodies and cancer

I was wondering how useful Antinuclear Antibodies are in the Diagnosis of solid tumors. I have reviewed several journal articles and cannot find a correlation between diagnostics and ANA. All of the studies evaluate the level of ANA in cancer positive individuals and even then, only small percentages show positive ANA. Here is my concern--If I have a positive ANA, does that mean that one of the possible reasons could be cancer? I am 23 YO and do not have symptoms of cancer. I have actually gained weight in the last couple of months. No fever, no night sweats. I have a negative Head CT in March. Negative Abdominal CT in May of 2010 it did show several small reactive lymphnodes in my lower right quadrant, and negative colonoscopy in June of 2011. However, I have had enlarged sub mandibular nodes for 24 months. I have seen 4 doctors (2 internists and 2 family practice) that said that they are normal in size, mobile, and do not warrant further investigation of scans.

I wonder about Pharyngeal and NPC Cancer, but know that I would have symptoms of the tumor by now. I also worry about lymphoma, but  wouldn't their be changes in my blood work by now. I had a few NRBCs on an exam about 5 months ago, but have had two subsequent CDCs with differential that did not show these again. I have read that this transient appearance of NRBCs occurs in some individuals.

I have requested the ANA, Anti-Smooth Muscle Antibody, and Celiac Disease Panel. My ALT and AST have been slighly elevated over the past 16 months, but so have my triglycerides (I have gained almost 100lbs in two years).Plus the CT scan was negative.  

I have OCD and Hypochondriasis and so my life is a living hell. I always think I have something. A rash on my arms, back of hands, and elbows that is really sensitive to the sun promoted me to get the ANA test. The docs say it looks like eczema, but the small papules and pattern look more sinister. It comes in the spring and summer and disappears in the fall and winter.

Finally, I have this black rash in my groin area (I am biracial black and white) that looks like a