Cancer Community
Astrocytoma, Insular Tumor, GBM

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Astrocytoma, Insular Tumor, GBM

Dear Doctors,

I am from Hong Kong. I would like to ask, is this Astrocytoma WHO grade II is the same meaning of insular tumor?

Reason I ask it is ..  My husband is now suffering from GBM WHO grade 4. With survive time of 10 months.

His case is:

- Oct 2011  He found a 7cm tumor in brain, don't know what is this. Then surgery taken and report show diagnosis as "Diffuse astrocytoma WHO grade II",

- The doctor only provide oral medication. Neither chemotherapy nor radiotherapy has been taken.  And, we were told by the doctor that no chemo or radiation need to take. Plus, Dr said the tumor isn't cancer.

- May 2012  He didn't feel well and seek the assistance from hospital.

- mid Jun 2012  The doctor write my husband diagnosis as "right insular tumor"

- mid June 2012  The 2nd surgery taken, and the diagnosis as "GBM"

I am a lady who haven't got any medical knowledge at all.  After my husband case, I did many searching from internet in Chinese and English and now.  

Can anyone tell me or express your view here?

Thank you

0%
 (0) 
written
0%
 (0) 
email
0 Members voted
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your husband and can understand your confusion. Insular tumor means the tumor is in the insular lobe of the brain. This is an anatomical positioning of the tumor in the brain with no characterization of the type of tumor. So, in your husband’s case the tumor is likely to be in the insular lobe of the brain.
Astrocytoma and GBM or glioblastoma multiforme are basically different names for the same type of tumor. Surgery is usually the treatment of choice in grade I and II tumors of this type. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Dear Dr,

Thank you very much for your response and explanation.

I appreciate this.

Brgds,