Cancer Community
Atypical Spitz Nevus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Atypical Spitz Nevus

My 9 year old son had a lesion removed from the back of his neck in December 2010.  We found it last June, but can't be sure how long it was there.  A pathology test was done and the lesion was sent to both Paris and Chicago(FISH Test done in Chicago) to review. It did not come back as Melanoma, but an Atypical Spitz Nevus.  The doctors are recommending a wider excersion in the area plus a sentinel lymph node byopsy.  We are awaiting the surgery date.  Prior to this surgery and the results, the doctors have already recommended a year of drug treatment with Inferon A, where he will receive everyday an IV for 4 weeks straight and 48 weeks of injections 3 days a week.  The doctors are recommending this treatment already prior to receiving the biopsy results of the sentinel lymph node yet they have not diagnosed him with Melanoma.  This seems to me to be a very severe treatment for a 9 year old when he wasn't even diagnosed with melanoma. They keep referring it to an Atypical Spitz Nevus.  Is this usually the recommended treatment for an Atypical Spitz Nevus.  I don't want to put my son through this if I don't have to.  They are recommending this for preventative measures, but isn't this extreme?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.