Cancer Community
Aunt Dying of Stage IV Bladder Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Aunt Dying of Stage IV Bladder Cancer

My Aunt had her bladder removed by a urologist in Arkansas about a year ago because she had cancer.  He reconstructed a bladder and told her that he got all the cancer by removing the bladder.  He never recommended that she see an oncologist so she believed she was cancer free. Well, about 5 months ago she found out that the reconstructed bladder is cancerous and the cancer has spread to other organs.  She is now dying.  My questions is, why would a urologist NOT recommend that she go to an oncologist and have chemo to kill any cancer cells that might have beeen floating around in her body?  Is this normal practice?  Had she seen an oncologist, this might have never had to happen.  Thank you.