Cancer Community
Blood in urine after bladder surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Blood in urine after bladder surgery

I had a tumor removed from my bladder about 2 1/2 weeks ago.  The tumor was quite extensive; however it had not penetrated the bladder lining.  On occasion, I still have blood in my urine.  How long does this usually last?  I just saw my Urologist last Thursday and he wasn't concerned, but I would like to know if this is normal.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  The occasional blood you have in your urine two and a half weeks after surgery is probably normal.  There's really no standard rule on how long hematuria (blood in urine) should last after surgery.  The duration of the bleeding post-surgery depends on various factors, such as the size of the mass, the type and extent of the surgery done, the patient's baseline hematologic status (e.g. platelet counts, serum levels of clotting factors), etc. In my opinion, for as long as the bleeding is scant and only happens on occasion, it's probably nothing to worry about.  If the bleeding becomes frequent or persistent, or if the amount increases, then it may need re-evaluation by the urologist.