Cancer Expert Forum
Blood work results/liver issues

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

Blood work results/liver issues

Dr Doctor

Your input would be greatly appreciated.  I recently had the following blood work

total bilirubin   6 umol/L
direct bilirubin    2 umol/L
ast     21   U/L
alt      18  U/L
alkaline phosphate      92   U/L
gamma-glutamyltransferase   <10   U/L
amylase     57  U/L
lipase   32  U/L
IGA       3.99   g/L  

Prior CBC blood work in may 2009 was normal as was kindey and liver function tests.

I have a history of a small hypoechoic liver nodule (approx 1cm detected by ultrasound only as two mri's were negative but did indicate focal fatty infiltration.   My most recent ultrasound was normal prior to that there had been no change in the lession size over 6 months by ultrasound..  None of the ultrasounds - four in total - indicated fat in the liver.)  All other abdominal organs normal.

Over the last 10 years I have only consumed alcohol on a rare basis and prior to that social weekend drinking - heavy at times.

QUESTIONS:
1   do these blood work values seem normal????
2.  Re the IGA value - my naturopath prescribed a payers patch remidy  (Pleo Reb) (indicated to improve liver function and other organ function - apparently it is a homeopathic remidy used also for hepititis (hepatitis))  - can this lead to increase in IGA.     IS my IGA normal or not
3.  Is there indication of cancer
4.  what follow up should i be looking at.

Thank you kindly.  My concern lies in my reading that higher IGA can indicate chorosis (sorry spelling???)  or myeloma.  So i am not sure if my values are in fact "high" or not and if this is a concern given my history of liver nodule.

thanks very much for any insight.
1. Normal levels of blood values vary from one lab to another. Please indicate normal values for this particular lab where you got these tests done.
2. I do not have knowledge or training in the homeopathic system of medicine, so I am not qualified to comment on this medicine or its side effects.
3. There is nothing in the current set of reports to point towards cancer. Please keep the hypoechoic nodule under follow-up.
4. Regular follow-up with your gastroenterologist, imaging and blood works are indicated.
All the best, and God Bless!
I should add that the homeopathic peyers patch remidy i was taking is called Pleo Reb (Pleo Rebus) capsules 4x manufactured by Sanum-Kehlbeck.

I look forward to your thoughts
Thank you for the information.  The lab reference range for IGA was 0.4 - 3.5 g/l    my reading was 3.99 g/l.  however my confusion was generaly information states that the higher range is 4.00 g/l or even upto 4.50 g/l.   so given that according to the lab that tested my sample i have a light elevation is this a concern????  if so what should i follow up with.

thanks
Dear Dr Saini,

I should add that I am 35 yr old and breastfeeding.   I am confused as to whether the breastfeeding can lead to increase in IGA .

My main concern is with regrard to incidation of cancer.

thanks very much
Borderline IgA elevation, and a small nodule in the liver (stable in size) is not suggestive of cancer.
Please relax, and enjoy your time with your baby.
Just follow-up with your doctor at regular intervals as advised.
Good Luck!
Thank you for your continued attention to my question.  

One final thought can I just put the IGA result behind me now or do I need to continue with with re testing  (also just want to chech that we are both talking about total immunoglobulin A  - IGA    - the reason i add this is because i spoke to a family doctor about it who had no idea what an IGA test was)

again thank you very much for your attention.
Yes, I was referring to total IgA in my replies above.
I wouldn't worry about this too much. In my practice, IgA is not a routine part of liver function test panel. (I wonder why this test was advised for you. Also, if IgA was ordered, why not IgG and IgM also?)
Please relax.
Good Luck!

thank you once more for you help.  I feel more at ease having reviewed your comments.