Cancer Community
Breast Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Breast Cancer

Hello, im wondering how high are my risks of getting Breast Cancer. My mom had a lump that was found in her breast out and checked but then it was benied. Almost a year later, she was diagnosed with Leukimia and died 6 months later. She had an aunt who died of Breast Cancer and I recently learn that my dad has sisters with Breast Cancer as wel. So many secrets in my family but glad im finding out all I can. There are so many conditions in y family both on my dad and mothers side. Not all of them I know of. Im concerned cause I need to kow my risks of being diagnosed with any Cancer and if its pssible that I an get almost any type of Cancer or only the ones that run in my Family?
I can relate to your concerns as I also have an extensive family history of Cancer, including Breast Cancer (on both my mother and my father's side). And, it's hard to say exactly what your risks are as an individual... without genetic testing. However, just to give you an idea... statistically, 5-15% of all cancers have a genetic predisposition.

My recommendation is to take note of any unusual symptoms or any odd physiological changes; keep your medical provider well informed of your family's Cancer history; and, have annual checkups and routine screenings. Some doctor might even recommend genetic testing to establish a risk factor rating. That's been the ongoing recommendation of the radiological facility that performs my annual mammograms. However, I've yet to make a final decision on that... and, it's a complicated story as to why I'm still debating this issue. Take care, "i"