Cancer Community
Breast cancer patient - admitted for meningitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

My mother is a breast cancer patient whos cancer has been in remission for about 18 months now. All of her check ups with her oncologist has been normal. she is currently hospitalized for meningitis. She has been in the hospital now for 5 days. They have ruled out bacterial meningitis at this point but are still having difficulty finding out what is causing it. I made the mistake of googling and came across neoplastic meningitis and i see it occurs in about 5 percent of breast cancer patients. I've raised my concern in sort of a side comment to her doctor because i didnt want to freak her out and she just brushed it off. No cytology of her CSF has been ordered and doctors dont think this is necessary but  shouldnt it atleast be checked out so we know its not a possibility. CSF was clear with high lymphocytes. Should I trust her doctors or should i be more concerned. My mother had stage 1 breast cancer with no metastasis and a small tumor (i believe less than 1cm). She was admitted to the hospital with crippling headaches severe back pain and vomiting that had been progressing over the course of three weeks. She has had no fever. Finally her lumbar puncture was 4 days ago and they said that nothing is happening with the samples thus far and we shouldnt expect results at all before tuesday. Does that seem like a long time. Thank you!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your Mother and what was the result of the lumbar puncture? I  understand your concern and worry and I recommend that you discuss your thoughts with your mother's attending physician. Results of diagnostic tests done help determine the underlying cause and in determining the nature of the meningitis. Take care and hope to hear from you. Best regards.