Cancer Community
Bump behind ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Bump behind ear

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this ... I have a small bump behind my right ear, and I can't figure out what it is. Some characteristics:

1) It's tender and movable
2) It keeps changing size ... one day it's tiny, the next it's huge, then small again
3) I had some skin irritation on my earlobe, but that's been gone for awhile.

Doc said to just keep an eye on it, but I'm wondering what it could be ... cyst? Swollen lymph nodes? Skin blemish/zit?
Depending on where the bump is - it might be a swollen lymph node.  You probably should get this checked by your doctor though.  

Carol
A lymph node behind the ear can take 6 months to go back down to normal and longer if you keep touching it. Every time you touch a lymph node you are aggrevating it therefore keeping it in an enlarged state. The nodes behind the ear will take on any foreign matters that have to do with your ears, colds, etc. I would not stress anout this but would try to refrain from touching it and give it a good month. Then lightly touch it to see if it has decreased in size. If it is smaller it is doing its job and going back down in size.
Hope this helps.

Debbie
Sounds like a swollen lymph node.  Ones that stay swollen for more than 2 weeks are ones physicians want patients to come in and get evaluated for.

Enoch Choi,MD
Thanks to all. Debbie, I think you're on the money. I left it completely alone this morning and just checked it now - very gently - to see how it was, and it feels like it's already getting smaller. I just need to stop aggravating it.

My GP thinks it's either a cyst or a lymph node. I have an appt with an ENT on Thursday to get it checked out.

Thanks!
It's thursday, how'd the ENT visit go?

Enoch Choi, MD
We're all ears ;)
I have one similar to nickpatel, and it's kind of scaring me. I have a lump behind my right ear that is rather larger than the normal one I have behind the left. I have been felling dizzy for about a week, and my balance is off. What should I do.  rosie
I have a horror story about lumps behind ears. My son who is now almost 2 years old at about 5 months old had a small almond sized lump behind his right ear. The day that we noticed it 6/2/2006 we took him to the pediatric urgent care facility at our hospital where the on call doctor informed us that it was juat a swollen lymph node and take these antibiotics and it will go away. 10 days later having given him all the antibiotics the lump was now the size of a walnut. We then took him back to the urgent care where the on call doctor told us that it was a cyst and reffered us to ENT. The following day at the ENT doctor visit we were told that the doctor was not sure if it was a cyst or a lymph node but he wanted to do all kids of blood work to rul out other possibilities. We took the baby for all blood work and waited to hear. A few days later after not hearing anything I called the doctor and was told he was now on vacation for 10 days and that I would have to wait until he got back. Needless to say I was upset and was definitley not waiting another 10 days. I finally got in contact with someone at the hospital who told me that all blood work came back negative and that the next step would be a cat scan. Finally on July 12th the cat scan was done. Here we ago again with the waiting for results. A few days go by and I get a call from the doctor stating that the lump was neither a cyst nor a lymph node but was indeed a solid mass and therefore a tumor. All the while this thing on my childs head is getting bigger and bigger it seems by the day. FINALLY on July 27th he had surgery to biopsy the tumor. By the time this was done the tumor which started out almond size was now the size of a golfball. When the pathology results came in the diagnosed my sone with Rabdomyosarcoma (I know is mispelled that) and that he needed to see the Oncologist right away because this was a very lethal form of cancer. Needless to say I freaked out and went to see the oncologist where he informed me that my baby would have to have Chemo right away and to prepare myself because babies do not do well on Chemo and that they would practically have to kill him in order to kill the cancer. Again, I freaked out! A friend of mine called and gave me a number to the Cancer Legal Resource center and told me to call. I did and was told to definitely get a second opinion. I asked the doctor for a second opinion and the tissue samples were sent to USC medical center and to the top pathologist and it came back that the tumor was cancer but was a much lower malignancy rate then the previously diagnosed and that my son would not need chemo. We were very relieved! Now, he is almost 2 and has been very healthy ever since but the tumor has grown back recently and we are again facing surgery. I didn't want to scare anyone just to make sure that people know doctors can be very wrong and a small lump could mean something else.
Thanks for reading!
I'm so sorry for your son's Rhabdomyosarcoma, that's awful...

YEs, lumps can be cancer

That's why it's important to get checked by your doctor
Hi All,
I am a 23 year old female and about 3 months ago I found a hard, immovable lump behind my right ear. There is one behind my left ear too but it is much smaller. I went to my Dr and he said it was just part of my normal anatomy. I wasn't convinced. I went to see another Dr who said the same but done a blood test anyway. The results came back clear. I was still really worried about this lump so I went to see yet another Dr who said it was probably a Lipoma and he is now referring me to the ENT department. Does anyone else have any idea what this could be? As I said it has been about 3 months now and I am really worried.
Thanks.
hi i am 13 years old and i have a smaller lump on my left ear i am almost positive it is not a pimple does anybody have any thoughts

thank you
i had a pea size lump that was hard had to have my perodid gland removed can  become cancerous.  have it checked
I just noticed a little bump behind my left ear today and I've been making myself worry because of the fact that about a couple weeks ago I had a six day migraine(never had one last over 24 hours before that), and it alo seems like my ear has been ringing ever since... I don't know if all of that is connected or not, but since it has all been happening around the same time, it makes me worried....should I be? Should I see my doctor?!?
Well I'm 14 and about a year ago I noticed two small 2cm bumps behind my left ear directly on the bone  they are movable and I'm kind of worry I meet see my doctor later this week .... Should I be worried???
HI,
I Have a tiny hard bump behind my left ear directly on the bone and also a new lump that is tender (feels like swollen lymph node) and feels like a bruise when I rub and also like a nagging headache bruise.
Now I don't have a headache, this all started with a sudden headache after dinner and on 'til the next day... completely throbbing...
I did not drink coffee for 24 hrs. and thought that was the reason, but now the bumps and lumps...
has anyone experienced this? I can feel it as I type.
AAAHH
Well  about a month ago i was in the hottub when I noticed a marble sized bump behind my ear. it freaked me out a little but we all made lite of it and i hadnt been thinking about it until today when i was getting on the bus i discovered that the whole area was getting much much larger and there was a second lump. the whole are now seems to be the size of a small golf ball, is a little sensetive to the touch,  hard and just the tiniest bit moveable. any thoughts?
I found a lump behind my left ear a few months ago. Went to the doctor & saw the PA.  He waved it off as a cyst and almost laughed at me for coming in to have it looked at.  When I went back to my primary doctor I requested the actual DOCTOR and asked him about it before the end of the appointment.  He stated it was mostly likely a cyst and if I wanted he would order a Ultrasound of the neck with attention brought to the left ear.  One day after the ultrasound I received a call from my doctor's office and was informed that the ultrasound was consistent with an enlarged lymph node and I was referred to an ENT.  I go Monday 1/19 to see the ENT but in the mean time after all this waiting the lump has gotten bigger  and is approx. 1.59cm across ad 1.26 cm down.  I am nervous but optimistic and will keep u informed. Thanks to all who read this.  
Please help me. I am also currently experiencing all these feelings. I noticed that there is a bump behind my left ear and I'm so nervous. I am 15 years old and I am very worried about this.
hi everyone im 15 and i just recently noticed a lump behind my right ear. its extremely sensitive to touch and its pretty hard. theres a smaller one right behind it. i got my ears peirced not that long ago and my right ear is invected. could that have something to do with it? i took the earing out but the lump hasnt gone away. im getting worried. should i see my doctor? i need help!
thanks
hi, i have a small lump under the skin behind my left ear, it changes shape every so often and now there is another smaller one further up, it doesnt hurt and i cant feel it. its near a birth mark, should i be worrried?
to everyone who's freaking out about the lumps: lymph nodes are a normal part of the human immune systems. they exist pretty much everywhere around our bodies. whenever our bodies are fighting off an infection of some kind (skin, or from piercings, or cold or any other infection), they react by enlarging - hence, the lumps. they're kind of like filters in the body for all the bacterias, viruses, etc. if after a couple of weeks they do not disappear, then go see a doctor.  
Ok, I am a 33year old female, diagnosed with CIN II  and HPV 16 seven years ago and diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis 5 years ago. I have 3 children 7 yrs, 5 yrs and 3 months old. about three years ago, the back of my earring pierced into the back of my ear but it did not bleed or was there any cut. After that day, anytime I touch the area, it hurts me. It went on for about 2 years and during the 2 year period,  an ultrasound was done on that area and nothing was found. exactly a year ago, November, 2008 to be precise, I felt a very tiny bump in the area and it only hurts when I touch it with pressure. after about 5 months, I went to the doctor to have it checked and an ultrasound was done, at this point I was 4 months pregnant. The radiologist interpreted the results as anechoic small cyst measuring about 8mm x 4mm. and asked that I came back after 2 months for another ultrasound. the second ultrasound showed that the cyst had increased in size measuring about 6mm x 11mm, and then a third ultrasound was done in august and the result came back as a sebaceous/ epidermoid cyst measuring about 14mm x 8mm, continue to monitor. My doctor told me the cyst is in a very dangerous part of the neck and with the jugular vein and carotid artery and some vital nerves, and so will not advice an excision of the cyst. I got frustrated and decided to try another doctor for a second opinion and the first thing the doctor did was to order for a bloodwork and put me on keflex. she said it was an enlarged lymphnode. I completed the dose of keflex about two weeks ago and the lump is still there.(right between my TMJ and my neck, just below my mastoid bone. I feel the lump better when I raise my head up.)she ordered an ultrasound which came back as a lymph node and recommended a CT scan. My blood work showed nothing. Now I really dont want to do the CT scan as I am aware it is not very safe. I asked my doctor for an MRI instead but she refused. I am really confused as this is really bothering me and affecting my activities of daily living. I was reading something on the internet and someone wrote that she had something similar but hers was really painful and it was for 1 month and she was later on diagnosed with cancer of the base of the tongue due to HPV. I am not sure if this makes sense, but will really appreciate a good explanation of what is going on with me and a good advice on how to address the problem
I know how most of you feel because I've had a bump for about 8 months and nobody seems worried about it except me.  It bothers me that the doctors will tell you its nothing without doing any tests or giving you any reasons.  It's probably nothing, but when your life is at stake, "probably" isn't good enough.  I'm going to see an ENT soon and we'll see what they have to say.
I have a small bump behind my left ear. I have never really noticed it until a few months ago. I'm not sure what it is. My mom won't take me to the doctor for it.  It doesn't hurt until I touch it. And it isn't bigger than the tip of a pointer finger. It used to be smaller. I have had this bump for close to a year. Just didn't think anything about it.
I had a bump actually right behind my ear close to my hair line and jaw.  It seemed as though it never got any bigger OR smaller for a coupole of months or so.  I kept squeezing it until one day, it popped open with ooozing puss.......Yuk...but right after that, it went away and has never returned.  I never thought a zit or whatever it was would be right behind the ear but I found out that it is possible.  It was just an infected zit or ingrown hair or something.  I never went to the doc about it but cancer came to mind when it just wouldn't go away.  Don't know if that is what any of you have or had but I wanted to share that with you.  Good luck to you all.
Thanks Geezlouize. I just tried popping it and I can't. So it's not a zit
My 11 year old son noticed a hard lump behind his ear yesterday and this morning I thought it had gone down as bit but this afternoon it is back about the same as yesterday I think. It is hard like bone and my son says it hurts if he touches it. He has a slight bump on his head and it looks like an insect bite may be there as the area is a bit red. |Think may be lymph node reaction to the insect bite or whatever but reading the above postings worried that might be more serious. Visiting relatives at moment. Should i go to local doctors or wait til i get home onFriday or chill out a bit and monitor it?  
Hi my name is Diana

I have a lump behind my right ear. It's strage because i never thought anything of it until i got a hair cut and when the lady washed my hair she noticed it. I have always had it behind my ear. My mom took me to the doctor and they said its nothing. A year later,I went to another doctor, and then i went and got Scaned or x ray something like that. They said it was nothing. Two years later after bugging my mom I went to the doctor again. I just have this feeling i have a tumor, and that i am going to die because even though the doctors tell me it's nothing. My gut tells me otherwise, maybe i am just paranode. Anyway, I went to a doctor that specializies with the ears and nose and stuff like that. He told me the same thing, IT"S NOTHING. He said if i want to remove it i can, but it wasn't going to affect me. Should i remove it or don't fix whats not broken.
We just found a bump/lump behind my 11 year olds left ear. She days it hurt (and she has a high pain tolerance). She had shingle about a month ago so I am hoping its just lymph node.
hello everyone i had a lump behind my left year that i never noticed before untill one day when i was feeling around and felt it, it was big like the size of a marble, i went to the doctor about it and he said i looked fine and that its not a big deal, well i then got lumps in my groin area, so i went back to the doctor and showed him., once again he said it was okay, I felt as if it was not okay because the lumps spread into other spots on my groin and other spots on my neck. I went to see another doctor that right away told me somethign was wrong, and had me in for a bioposy of the lump in my groin. The lump came back as cancer Lymphoma . i had my treatment of chemo which was hell and now i am in remission, but the other day i was feeling around my neck and noticed behind my left ear were the first lump was when i first was diagnosed is back and **** im scared as hell.!!! fingers crossed got to go see my oncologist
hi all,
i used to have a similar lump in my right foot, the right side, and a little bit above the ankle, it gets bigger for some times so my mom asked me to see doctor. the doctor said that it's some kind of cyst, but not dangerous. i can remove it by operation, but that would affect my walking for some days. i had a running exam in near time, so i said i'll think about it then we went home. from that time, i was sure that it's just some kind of blocked acne inside my skin layers, so i kept on squeezing it everytime everyday. until one day, the skin gets very thin and i can see there was a white area inside the darkish area that was cause by my everytime squeeze. then i get more excited to squeeze it until it popped and some white yellowish like creamy soup thing came out of it and the swollen is gone. but the problem is, somehow i dunno why, my skin won't regenerate at that time, so there was a tiny hole there. it did freak me out, i closed it with a band-aid and went ASAP to doctor. he said i had to stay away from swimming or drowning my foot in water, in case it accepted incoming flow, and always close it with a waterproof band aid. until now, it closes a little bit in the middle and left 2 needlepoint size hole. yes it is a really dark hole. i tried to poke it with toothpick but not to deep, and i also see it with a light, but i can't see anything in it. but nothing bad happened about it and no second times.. AND NOW, if i don't forget how it was, there should be something similar behind my right ear... i obviously don't want a hole on my head, so i stay away from touching it. is there any better real solution to this? thanks!
I have a lump too, it doesn't hurt, and its dime size. I'm also very tired.

I don't know what to do

SHould I go to the doctors?
Ive been in and out of the doctors for 3 yrs about lumps in my boobs. It started with my right and rapidly moved to my left too.  I had a needle test done and the doc found signs of cancer, but a small amount. He sent me in for every kind of testing including a mri mammogram. The results came back fine. I saw my surgeon after that and he told me after 8 months of the needle test, that they were wrong and they are sorry so dont worry, the lumps are normal and come back in 6 months. These lumps have been in both my boobs for 3 yrs and they have never gone away, they have gone from big to medium and from hard to soft, but the one on the left is going up into my armpit. Now the doctors are telling me this is normal and not to worry about it, im only 29, is it normal??

thanks sandra
My friend did have cancer there. Dr. assume it was lymph.  DO NOT ASSUME!! She noticed it get bigger and then the test showed cancer.  
my one feels like a little worm. i think it might be O'sirus, the little worm who controls my brain, sometimes i can see him inside my pupils when i look in the mirror, poor guy, i think he just wants to come out and join us, you know... be like us... have a family...

sorry....

i think i had to change the subject there to help me cope with the amount of cancer related links i'm seeing on this page.

....don't take my opening phrase out of context though.
My son is six years old and had chicken pox a couple of weeks ago. A few days after his spots started to scab I noticed a pea-sized, hard, moveable lump behind his left ear and a similar one further down in his neck. It's not getting any bigger from what I can tell. Is this likely to be his lymph nodes as he's been unwell? It's been there about a week now, is it worth taking him for the doc to check out? Thanks
I have a small lump behind my right ear, not exactly behind but almost on  my head alittle down where the hair line ends, its a hard lump, it doesnt move. What should I do?
My daughter she is 11 and have a small, but movable bump on her ear. My other daughter says it might be bot fly.I saw a video and was worried if it was. Any advice to tell if it is?
I had gotten a middle ear infection feburary 2011 a few days after the mess were taken 3 swollen glands became active behind my left ear they have been there for almost 7 months now they come and go and when they flare they cause severe pain in the left side of head neck and also my face feels weird I had a ct scan done the ent says chronic sinusitis but I have no signs oof chronic sinusitis
i have a lump behind my ear also, I had it ever since i got in a car accident about 10 years ago its a hard lump it doesn't hurt, and it has not growned its about the size of an almond, but i do get headache ones in a while is it due to the lump maybe?
WOW!!!
I am going through this same thing, but I have been putting it off. I have a hard lump the size of a marble behind my left ear and have had it since early June! It is now almost October and I still have it and it seems to be getting larger and harder. I hadn't worried too much until I noticed the recent changes. Thank you so much for informing me the worst case scenarios so I can have the WANT to go to the doctor.
I HAVE HAD THIS MANY TIMES IN ONE YEAR THE CURE YOU NEED IS  TO GO TO YOUR GP AND GET IT CHECKED OUT HE IS MOST LIKELY TO PRESCRIBE YOU WITH ANTI-BIOTICS AFTER 4 WEEKS OR SOONER.

HOPE THE INFORMATION HELPED.
I have a lump on my right ear. It is painful and bothers my whole right face from ear to neck down. I can barely move my neck. I am also sick with strep throat and had it for couple of days. It worries me because I do have Lupus and arthritis as well. Can someone tell me that the pain I am feeling from my ear all the way to my neck of what it could be. Thank you all.
I also have a dime size knot behind my ear with small Bubba size floating knots. I started itching on the scalp hands and legs.. It is starting to spreadout.  I have been extremely tired and at times I feel chilled to the bone no matter how many clothes I wear. At night I can barely stand covers on me because I get to hot.. Is this just a cold or something I need to check into...
Hey JennApril- just wanted to see if you got a diagnosis for your lump. I know the body tries to give you warning signals for almost anything that needs attention and you should always take them seriosly. I'm experiencing the same thing. A nurse friend of mine said it was most likely a lymph node. She said with the combination of stress, lack of sleep, and fighting a possible mild infection (like a cold) it appeared to give me a heads up to take time for myself and just chill. I definately think people take for granted that stresses in daily life can reck havock on your immune system, but i'm worried that it's telling me something more. Please let me know what you think.
Hey Guys,

Well, I'm fifteen years old and I'd say roughly about a month and a half ago on my right ear, right in between the crease of my ear there is a somewhat large bump. At first, I thought it was just a liquid filled pimple. But, after five day's of squeezing it with my thumb and index finger, and trying to pierce it with sterile tweezers, nothing is popping and no liquid is coming out. The C word is eating away at my brain, but it seems there are many other people going through this same exact thing and it isn't cancerous. Any information on what this could be would be great so I can calm myself.
I just fond a knot behind my left ear it hard and not moveable
I too have a bump behind my left ear that has grown in size over a two and a half month span, but something weird has happened. I am just getting over a very bad cold. I had a fever for a week and now when I eat and smoke it tastes very weird. Can't really tell what it's like. I also have a very odd taste all the time. I feel light headed but very light.  
i woke up 2 days ago with a hard quarter sized lump on my forehead, 2 smaller ones in front of my right ear, a small one behind my ear and the whole right side of my face hurts. I slept on my right side last night and feel like its swollen, I don't have insurance and don't want to spend the money if its nothing. Any ideas?
GMO foods are causing tumors in lab rats.... Genetically modified foods have totally taken over the food supply... they are killing people off!  Wake up and SAY NO TO GMO's!
I have a lump on my lymph node behind my right ear. I went to the doctor last week and he ordered blood tests the following morning. I get the results tomorrow. The lump is still there and has been there for a couple of months, it's not painful but I thought I would mention it to the doctor whilst I was there. Hopefully the blood tests will shed some light on it.
THANK YOU..I ALSO HAVE THIS LITTLE LUMP BEHIND MY LEFT EAR AND ITS GETTING BIGGER..IT JUST STARTED  LIKE A MOSQUITO BITE AND I ALWAYS TOUCH IT AND I OBSERVE THAT ITS GETTING BIGGER...MAYBE  I'LL STOP TOUCHING IT TO OBSERVE IF THE LUMP WILL DECREASE..THANKS AGAIN. IT REALLY HELPS.
This is the same problem i am having... i am 26... i dont know anything about it to give any information other then what i am reading on the internet...