CA 19.9 of 53
I have a history of breast cancer (lumpectomy in 2004) with subsequent negative mammograms.  My doctor just did some tumor markers and all were normal except for CA 19-9, which was 53.  What does that indicate?  I do have vitiligo, which I'm told is autoimmune-related -- would that have anything to do with the elevation of the marker?
Hi!
I can understand your concerns. CA-19-9 can be detected in healthy individuals, but the levels are usually is less than 37 U/mL. It is usually high in stomach and pancreatic cancer. Since you have a past history of breast cancer, the value should be followed up by repeat test. A rising level should raise a suspicion of cancer.  Also, levels above 100 U/mL are of any diagnostic values as higher levels have better specificity for pancreatic or liver cancer.  Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!