Calcified rib cartilage
I'm a healthy 43 yr old,never smoked and only occasional glass of wine. On my chest x-rays my rib cartilage is calcified. Recently I had bronchitis and the coughing caused a broken or possibly the calcified cartilage cracked. The pain is unbearable at times and I have a hard time breathing deep or if I sneeze I feel like I've been stabbed. I have had osteopenia since age 30 and it's only getting worse. Nobody can tell me why at a young age that my ribs look like a 75yr olds. What could be causing this?
I understand your concern regarding your chest x-ray result. Were there imaging studies done after diagnosis of bronchitis? Aside from cartilage issues, musculoskeletal conditions may need to be ruled out. In some studies, calcification of the costal cartilages follows gender-related patterns and may not be not evident radiographically until after the age of 30 years.  Further evaluation may need to be done to determine the underlying issue. It is best that you have this checked by your doctor and  discuss the results also. Take care and do keep us posted.