Cancer Community
Can a brain tumour cause anxiety and depression?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

I will begin by admitting how terrified I am that I have a brain tumour! I have had a continuous dull headache for six weeks now and no amount of medication seems to shift it. It seems to be worse in the morning, and I have a really stiff neck. Its there all day and worse when I do exercise or bend over. The pain is tight around my head, and occasionally its tight accross the nose. Sometimes it is a tull ache and sometimes it pounds but I never have release from it. I have also been having tingling in my face, hands and feet occasionally with a twitch in my eye sometimes. Please help im terrified!!!! I have been to the doctors three times who say it is anxiety and depression and so unlikely to be a tumour they wont consider it. Now im not sure whether my depression and anxiety is the "change in personality" symptom of a tumour or if the headaches are just headaches and the depression and anxiety are causing me to believe I have a tumour? PLEASE HELP IM SO SCARED!

Hi!
Symptom-wise it does not look like brain tumor. Since you have stiff neck, and pain increases on bending, there is a chance that you have compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Alternatively you can visit a chiropractor or a physical therapist and learn some exercises which you can do to relieve the compression, but consulting a neurologist is a must.
Use a hard bed to sleep. Avoid a pillow. Roll a towel and place it under your neck while sleeping on the back and between head and shoulder when lying on the side. Initially this will be uncomfortable but with time the acupressure will do wonders. Use an analgesic cream or spray. Anti-inflammatory drugs help. Avoid exercising until you have consulted a neurologist. Also diabetes, and hypothyroidism too need to be ruled out as cause of these symptoms. Take care!