Cancer Community
Cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Cancer?

Hello Dr. Fernando

I appreciate the opportunity to write to you. Over the last week I have had so much anxiety. I am a 48 year old male living in NYC. My father died of pancreatic cancer at the age of 71. My father's father died of pancreatic cancer at the age of 58.   My CA-19-9 levels have always been  around the 17-21 range over the last 10 years -12 years when I first started to get this test. About 5 years ago, my levels rose to 30, still within normal range, but because the level was about 10 points higher than I would normally get, I went to my liver and pancreas doctor and he said Quest has just started doing this test and that he has been seeing with false positive results. To give me some peace of mind, I had an MRI done and all was well--I also had a repeat of the CA 19-9 test and my #' went back down to 17. FYI-- all my other bloodwork was also normal.

About 6 months ago, I had a reading of 28, and yes, I saw my liver and pancreas doctor again and he repeated the test and this time the # came back to around 17. I had the test repeated again a monthe later and the test was 14. So, for about 3 months straight, the CA-19 test was in the 14 -17 range.

About several months ago I started taking Conjugated linoleic acid to help with fat loss and fish oil supplements. I swithched brands and I then started to get headaches so I decreased my dose. I dind't quite fell myself, so just last week I went to my internist and ask for blood work. My tests came back all normal, BUT, my CA-19 was at a 186, and all other bloodwork was normal. Just 6 days after that reading I had the CA-19 test done again and my level dropped to a 63, a 123 point drop in just 6 days. I AM SO CONFUSED. I am going for an obdominal scan tomorrow and then I see my liver and pancreas doctor this Monday. No doubt, he will send me for an MRI.

Is this the beginning of the end for me? I am asymtomatic. I have read the comments about the Japanese study. Does the supplement I was taking influencing the CA-19 level. Needless to say, I've stopped taking it. A 186??? AND THEN 63!  

Any comments you have doctor would be most helpful. I do not smoke or drink and my diet is usually very healthy,.

Thank you.
Appreciatively,

Robert

This discussion is related to Enlarged Lymph Nodes in Neck.