Cancer Community
Cancer and Dysplasia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Cancer and Dysplasia

After reading so many things on Dysplasia  im a little confused. My doctor told me I had severe stage 4 cervical cancer and had me in surgery within a week to have a hysterctomy. I was 25 years old at the time. Now I am reading through my charts for other medical reasons and seeing the Path report and it is saying that it was Severe squamous mucosal dysplasia (cin 3)  with endocervical gland involvment. Should I be worried about it coming back? And why am I not seeing that others had to have a hysterectomy?  Was that just a hasty decision on the doctors part? Thank you for any help!
Cervical cancer treatment
Smaller cases of cervical cancer are treated by a hysterectomy, while those whose stages of cancer of worsened have their lymph nodes removed as well.  For those who wish to stay fertile, a cone biopsy is an option. If the cone biopsy fails however, the only option to remain fertile is a trachelectomy, also known as surgically removing the cancer while sparing the uterus and ovaries. Since not many doctors are skilled to perform a trachelectomy this is not recommended, especially since if the procedure fails the only option left is a hysterectomy.

Hope this helps.  God Bless!