Cancer Community
Cancer cells in urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Cancer cells in urine

My brother was diagnosed with bladder cancer 3 years ago.  He is getting BCG treatments; the latest cystoscopy shows no new polyps but his urine has cancer cells.  His urologist ordered X-rays of the kidneys, bladder and urethra.  He is anxiously awaiting the results.  My question:  is it likely he has kidney cancer?
Thank you.
I am not a doctor but have had badder tumors removed and gone through the same follow-up regimen as your brother. I am assuming his urologist gave him what is known as the FISH Test, which measures the presence of cancer cells in the urine. The problem is the test does not tell you where the cells are from. That is why they have to do all this testing. Their assumption is, since he has had bladder cancer, the cells are from somewhere in the urinary tract system. This could lead to a whole lot of testing. As with the recent news questioning the value of PSA testing, it is something for him to discuss with the doctor.
Hi there!

Cancer cells in the urine could indicate cancer anywhere in the urinary tract, though it is more likely to be located in the lower part i.e. urethera, bladder or ureter. Further investigations may be required to locate the source of the cancerous cells.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you Dr. Kaul, I appreciate your response.