Cancer Community
Cancer of the inside of the cheek

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Cancer of the inside of the cheek

Hi.  The dentist says I need a biopsy of my cheek.  It is all red and white blotchy and it hurts.  If it turns out to be cancer, will they cut a hole in my cheek and is this cancer curable?
Avatar dr m tn
Hi.  If that lesion turns out to be cancer, the extent of surgery (whether a hole needs to be cut in your cheek) will depend on how extensive (how big and how deep) that cancer is.  If the surgeons do decide to "cut a hole", I'm sure reconstructive surgery is part of the treatment plan as well, so any hole would not be left gaping.  There may also be an option to do chemotherapy and radiation treatment prior to the surgery, so that the tumor may be reduced in size and the surgery less extensive.

Oral cancers, when diagnosed at the earlier stages, have a good chance for a cure with proper treatment.