Cancer Community
Carcinoid sindrome(syndrome)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Carcinoid sindrome(syndrome)

My mother in law has carcinoid syndrome, High serotonin level in her blood (450) and not so high but high noradrenalin, other analises positive (tumor markers like cromag..A.something, I don't remember) and hi renin A. It All started with hypertension not controled with medication and low sodium level (big problem in the past she was in a com, now she knows the symtoms (symptoms) like nause and she goes directly to hospital). The diagnostic is already made it is a carcinoid (in circulation) that is responsable for serotonin syndrome. She has flushings (like people in menopause), etc. The doctor can't find where are the tumors by ostretid scan (something like this). He 's going to repeat the analises and possibly the scan (detects only 85% of these tumors) next month, then she will start chemiotherapy (goes right to where is the tumor). My question is, how bad is this? chemiotherapy cures?
Avatar_dr_m_tn

May be the following websites links would turn helpful to you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/carcinoid-syndrome/DS00690

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/serotonin-syndrome/DS00860

Regards.
Hi Dr.
Thanks for the web sites. I got the information I wanted.
Regards.