Cancer Community
Cat Scan Problem with Iodine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Cat Scan Problem with Iodine

I recently had a cat scan done (have had before) where I was given iodine.  I did not get anything at all to drink this time.  When they injected the dye, it burned my whole insides. And for 4 days afterwards I have been having different reactions. So guess you would say I had an iodine reaction. My question is, wasn't I supposed to be given something to drink as well?  I asked and they said no. I do not have a spleen and it's been hard on me getting this out of my system. I have drunk a lot of water, but still I can tell my kidneys are having a hard time. I do not ever want to have iodine done again for a cat scan. The cat scan was done to see if the polyups on my kidneys had grown. I had cancer, non-hodgkins lymphoma in 2001 and have since been cancer free.
What exactly are the "different reactions" you have been having?

It depends on what the physician has ordered in regards to whether you get IV and/or Oral contrast; you can have only one or both.

I would not be so concerned because you don't have a spleen to help pass the contrast; It is the kidneys I would be concerned about.