Cancer Community
Causes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Causes

Recently I was diagnosis with testicular cancer and need to know what are the potential causes? It is just geneic?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Testicular cancer is a disease that strikes men of a wide age range. It can affect young men as young as age 15. There are quite a few risk factors of testicular cancer. A risk factor is anything that increases your chances of developing a disease. However, if you have a risk factor, it does not mean you will absolutely develop it. Keep in mind, also, that testicular cancer can develop without having a risk factor for the disease.

Risk Factors for Testicular Cancer:

1)Having had an undescended testicle.
2)Having a personal or family history of testicular cancer.

Studies suggest that it may run in families. Having had testicular cancer previously also increases your risk factor.

Please do take care!
Thank you for your response to my question.  
To the best of my knowledge there is no family history of testicular cancer, also I am 50+ years old.  I was concerned about other less "traditional" causes' ie. having a vasectomy, taking too many vitamins, trauma, etc.

Also does having one involved testicular mean that the other is at a greater risk???