Colon Cancer...Now lung nodules
My father was diagnosed with colon cancer last year. He underwent chemo with good effects until his CEA levels started to increase 3 months after tx. Although PET/Ct showed no unusual findings, surgeon decided to remove the area of the colon where the cancer was in May. After surgery, his CEA continued to rise to about 140. Another PET/CT showed nothing. Now, he had another PET/CT which showed multiple tiny and small bilateral parenchyma; lung nodules right mid lung  with the largest being 1cm and showing  Mild uptake.
I am preparing for the worst that it is in fact a metasatsis but I would like to know what the survival rate and treatment options for this based on the findings. This has been a horrific roller coaster ride for all involved as such for anyone affected with this disease. Please help- Extremely worried. He has a biopsy scheduled for next week. Thank you.
Hi.
I understand what you are going through.
The 5-year survival for patients with stage 4 colon cancer is about less than 40%.  
For stage 4 colon cancer, the treatment goal is palliation of symptoms.  This means that improvement quality of life is of utmost importance.  Treatment is given to control the symptoms, control the disease, and improve the survival.  
Luckily, there are so many advances with regards to colon cancer treatment, many involving combination of chemotherapy and targeted therapy.  You should ask you father’s oncologist regarding this.  The risks and benefits of treatment should always be weighed.
Take care.