Colon Resection Problem
My son who is 37 years was diagnosed with stage IV metastatic rectal cancer.  They removed part of his rectum and about 12" of his colon.  After that he would have 5 or 6 bowel movements a day but now he is unable to have one at all without an enema.  He had chemo and radiation.

After 3 colonoscopies, one doctor told him that there was some minor narrowing of the colon but he should not have any problem having a bowel movement.  The second doctor told him that he could see no reason why he could not have a bowel movement as he couldn't see any problem.  The third said that he found a stricture and loosened that so he should not have a problem any more.  He still has a serious problem.  He cannot go without an enema.  He feels like he needs to go but then it seems to stop just as it reaches the anus.  Then he suffers severe pain until he uses the enema.  It usually takes the enema about an hour to give him relief.  He is in so much pain, he breaks out in a sweat and trembles all over.  

Now it seems that all they want to do is remove some more of the rectum and colon which they say will result in a colostomy.  It is like they are giving up even though they cannot SEE a reason for his problem.  I keep wondering if there may be nerves that are messed up due to the radiation or the surgery itself.  Does anyone have any suggestions?